May 21, 2013

Sketch / Oil Pastel Portraits

oil pastel beauty portrait
Playing with oil pastels for the first time in a long time.

I had been wanting to try oil pastels again ever since being inspired by these bright fashion week sketches from Damien Florebert Cuypers which I think think are so fun and full of life. I picked up a cheapie set while at my neighbourhood art supply store the other day, I was hesitant to try them again remembering them being so messy and maybe slightly unfashionable in this age of realistic airy pencil/watercolour illustrations.

But in the end I loved how they turned out, so vivid and expressive. Perfect for portraits.

portrait of mom in Woody Allen's film Interiors holding vase
This was the sketch I started with, made while watching Interiors the other night-- I love Woody Allen.

What do you think? Any favourite things that you thought you would hate but then ended up loving? I used to hate shitake mushrooms, now I love them/mushrooms in general.


No comments:

Post a Comment